My Au Pair Journey


Welcome, dear readers, to the beginning of my new adventure! I am so excited to share my thoughts and experiences with you. 

I should probably introduce myself first, I'm Vené a 22-year-old from South Africa, and next year I will be an au pair in the USA. I will be going to Ohio and taking care of two girls, ages 4 and 7.

It's me, Vee

Some fun facts about me:

I am a big foodie! I'm an adventurous eater and will definitely try anything new. I am a reader, and my favourite genres are fantasy, romance and comedy. I am studying education and would like to go into special education someday. 

In August of 2023, I finally made up my mind that I wouldn't be stuck in my small town any longer. So, after contacting a friend who is currently au pairing in California, she recommended the agency Cultural Care Au Pair. Cultural Care so far has given me a great experience. Whenever I send them an email or text, they gladly assist me. Their workshops which are held on Zoom are very helpful. 

I hope this blog will be useful and entertaining. Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any further questions! 

What are the requirements?

You must be between the ages of 18 and 26 and have completed (or about to complete) secondary school or equivalent. You obviously must have a clear criminal background and be able to commit to at least 12 months abroad. Good health with a driver's license and lastly you must have at least 200 hours of childcare experience.

What are the benefits?

You receive a private room, meals and round-trip flights. Earn a minimum weekly stipend of $195.75. Get up to $500 towards a course of your choice at an American college. Take a month to travel at the end of your year and a 2-week paid vacation! 


Below I set up an overview of my costs:

Program Fee R15 500 (payable within 14 days when matched with a family)

Cancellation Protection Fee R850 (optional)

Visa Fee R3 000 

Delivery Fee R800 (depends if you want to courier your visa to you)

Police Certificate R265

GP Health Check R423.60

HIV Test R131.90*

TB Test R242.90*

International Driving License R349 (haven't done mine yet, you do it closer to your departure date)

ID Photo R60*

*They didn't mention these additional costs

Total: +/-R21 622 ($1 130) 


Here's a rundown of my journey so far:

11 Aug - Online info session

18 Aug - Phone call interview with Cultural Care

1 Sep - First family connection

21 Sep - Matched (there was a non-compulsory Matching workshop on the 27th which I didn't attend)

26 Oct - Embassy workshop

30 Oct - Visa appointment

30 Oct - In-person interview with Cultural Care

2 Nov - Got my visa via courier

2 Nov - Get Ready workshop

8 Dec - Start training school

12 Dec - Got my flight tickets

22 Jan - Set To Fly workshop

25 Jan - Departure

All the workshops are compulsory as well as the training school.


Can't wait to update you on my next adventure!

Vee

Comments

Popular Posts